Pages

28.7.14

Travel Throwback: Lake Tekapo, New Zealand



With Travel Throwback I take you back to past places I've visited. Today I want to talk about Lake Tekapo. Lake Tekapo is a lake and township in the middle of the southern island of New Zealand. I wasn't even originally intending to visit it, but the bus journey from Christchurch to Wanaka partly took me past an incredible landscape of snowy mountain ranges and clear blue water at its base. Just as I was admiring this stunning view, taking pictures through the window (unsuccessfully, as it always goes), the bus stops at the edge of this amazing turquoise lake. We were given an hour for lunch there. This was hands down the most incredible bus stop I'd ever seen.

I was really in awe of the scenery. This spot is high up on my list of most picturesque places I've encountered in my life, and all I could do was stare, try and take it all in, and take lots of photos. The colour of the lake is just unreal. The lake was shaped by glacial ice crushing mountain rock, whose movement caused very fine powder-like particles which remained in the lake. These particles reflect the sunlight and this is what gives the lake its milky blue colour.

Lake Tekapo is a very small town, not somewhere you'd go if you're looking for an adventurous vacation. I've heard there's spectacular stargazing there though, because apparently the town has some of the clearest skies. Either way, the lake itself is worth stopping by for. And even if I didn't get to spend a lot of time there, I'm so glad I got the chance to pass through. I really can't explain to you how beautiful it is.





No comments:

Post a Comment