Pages

10.8.14

My most anticipated albums of 2014 (and what I think of them)



It's only August and so many good records have already been released. 2014 is a great year for music. I've made a selection of the most important albums that have come out so far this year and voiced my opinion on them.

Against Me! - Transgender Dysphoria Blues
This is a five star record. I love how even though transgender dysphoria isn't something most listeners are personally familiar with, it is made universal. Everyone can relate to feelings of not belonging, of battling inner demons, and learning to accept ourselves for who we are, and that is what this album is about. And the sound is fierce, the songs are solid and pure Against Me! They made it hard for any album to top 'best of the year' with this release.
Favourite track: Black Me Out

Anberlin - Lowborn
It's a shame this band is breaking up after twelve years of being a band. They've brought us some great tunes, some of my favourites including 'A Day Late' and 'Dismantle. Repair.', but unfortunately, their new album isn't upon the greatest hits list for me. I can't get into it. It's noisy and it reminds me of 30 Seconds To Mars. Sorry Anberlin, you'll still be missed and remembered for your better work.
Favourite track: (if I had to choose) Stranger Ways

Antartigo Vespucci - Soulmate Stuff
A new project by Jeff Rosenstock (best known for his band Bomb The Music Industry!) and Chris Farren (best known for his band Fake Problems and his Twitter account)... oh boy! This can only be good! And it is. This album is packed with clever lyrics and it's super catchy. I wouldn't have expected anything less. Brilliant album!
Favourite track: I'm Giving Up On U2

The Front Bottoms - Rose 
Okay, I have to confess, I've neglected this band for a long time and only really discovered them early this year before I saw them supporting Brand New, and I didn't know about this new EP until I stumbled upon it about a month after its release, but wow, I'm in love. The songs are out there and the lyrics are right in your face. This band is fun, and this EP is a true gem.
Favourite track: Twelve Feet Deep

The Gaslight Anthem - Get Hurt
I wasn't a big fan of their last album, 'Handwritten', and I didn't have very high expectations of 'Get Hurt'. The terrible artwork slightly bugged me when it was unveiled, and the first tracks they released didn't have the hit sound I was hoping for. But that's not what 'Get Hurt' is about. 'Get Hurt' is the product of an artist poring his aches and soul into music to find a way to cope, and it's hard to bash or not respect that. This is without a doubt the most personal album The Gaslight Anthem have put out. Where other albums contained stories about girls and radio's, this offers a glimpse into the soul of the musician, and it's raw and it's pure and unglamorous but admirable, and relatable, and kinda beautiful.
Favourite track: Have Mercy (Bonus Track)

Joyce Manor - Never Hungover Again
Joyce Manor's self titled album has been a record that I've kept coming back to for a while, so I was stoked when these guys finally announced a new release. I love their raw short pop punk songs. To me this record isn't quite as good as their previous material, but it's still pretty bangin'.
Favourite track: End Of The Summer

The Menzingers - Rented World
The Menzingers are definitely in my top 5 of favourite bands right now, and their new album is stellar. I don't really have anything else to add. This is just a friggin' great record, and I urge you to give these guys a listen if you haven't yet.
Favourite track: The Talk


Also just announced: my favourite Melbournians The Smith Street Band are releasing their new album 'Throw Me In The River' on the 31st of October. More to look forward to! In the meantime you can listen to a playlist of above mentioned albums here.

What is your favourite album of the year so far?

No comments:

Post a Comment