Pages

25.8.14

Travel Throwback: Tasmania



About halfway into my first year in Australia I fell into this phase where nothing seemed to be going right. I decided it was time for a break from the city, gathered up some travel buddies through Gumtree, and flew from Melbourne to Tasmania. We hired a car, bought some camping gear and traveled around for two weeks. We hiked in national parks, saw more wildlife than ever (from wombats to snakes) and camped at exquisite private beaches. It may have been my favourite trip I've ever taken, and I don't understand why Tasmania is so greatly unappreciated, especially by mainland Australians. Any young Aussie I know chuckles when talked to about Tasmania and mumbles something about old people and marrying your cousin (what?). In a way though, I think the beauty of Tassie is that it's not too crowded with tourists. So here's some photographs I took on my trip to show just how stunning Australia's smallest state is, but don't share the secret with too many others.

(hover over pictures for location and comments)

Mount Hartz, view from below
Mount Hartz, view from the top
Our private beach at Cockle Creek
Well, maybe not completely private
The southern walk, Cockle Creek
The southern walk, Cockle Creek
'Pull over, pull over!' Randomly stopping the car to take in this gorgeous view. Glad we did.

Another car stop
Cradle Mountain, where I climbed to the top in my Converse chucks because I left my beautiful hiking boots at a petrol station to dry after falling into a lake and forgot them there (sob). But boy, what an experience!
Friendly Beaches, another private beach
Friendly Beaches
My favourite (though slightly more touristy): Wineglass Bay

4 comments:

  1. mijn baas kwam er vandaan - sinds ik hem begrijp kan ik elk accent aan. En wat Henrieke zegt ... prachtige foto's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha is het echt zo erg? Er zit wel een klein beetje een extra nasale dimensie in haha. Scheelt weer met al die onverstaanbare accenten in de UK waar je nu mee wordt geconfronteerd ;) En thanks!

      Delete