Pages

18.10.14

Fun things I want to do when I get back to Melbourne



In just two days I'll be on a plane headed to Melbourne! Two days! I'm really excited to go, but I often get overwhelmed by the majority of it all, stressing out about starting over in a new place. I sometimes scratch my head and wonder why I'm so intend on doing this. Then I remember there are just so many cool things waiting for me Down Under. I can't wait to try out this Aussie lifestyle and gain a ton of new experiences. That's why I'm doing this! Here's a small list of fun things I want to do when I get back to Melbourne.

➙ Drink some good coffee. People take their coffee very seriously in Melbourne. Too seriously sometimes perhaps, but that does mean the general quality is pretty high. I didn't drink coffee until my colleague at the Melbourne CBD café I worked at made me try cappuccinos with lots of syrup and I gradually learned to appreciate it. You still won't find me drinking black coffee, but going for a nice latté is probably one of the first things I'll do when I arrive.

➙ Eat some good food. Might as well follow with this. While Australia isn't the cheapest place to live, eating out is reasonably affordable compared to home. And there's so much choice! I personally can't wait to stuff myself with some awesome seafood. Yum! Not to mention heading out to the markets (ah, the markets...) and cooking up some nice dishes at home.

View the city from the Eureka Tower - I didn't take the chance to go up to the tallest building of the southern hemisphere last time I stayed in Melb, but this time I definitely should. The Melbourne skyline is beautiful.

➙ Learn to surf - Not technically something I'll do in Melbourne, but learning to surf has been a long term bucket list entry. If I get the chance to take a little holiday outside of the city, I really want to take some lessons and learn to ride some waves. Any volunteers out there who want to teach me?

➙ Find some cool street art - Some of the most amazing street art I've come across was in Melbourne. There are some obvious places to go in the CBD to find some cool pieces (Hosier and AC/DC Lane and the laneway across of my old hostel on Franklin street), but I haven't ventured into the suburbs to find some cool stuff yet, and Fitzroy is probably where it's all at.

➙ Have barbies in public places - Another thing I love about Australia: the barbie culture and the fact they have bbq's in parks and at beaches for public use. I can't wait to gather some friends for some burgers and drinks while enjoying the outdoors.

➙ Take a class or follow a course - I don't miss being a student. At all. But that doesn't mean there isn't still a lot I'd like to learn. For ages now I've been talking about wanting to take a cooking class. Other classes and courses I'd be interested in include photoshop, web design, cosmetics or even just yoga. I won't leave Australia before I've picked up a new skill.

➙ Enjoy the sun - Melbournians can be quite bitter about the weather. 'Four seasons in a day' is usually one of the first things you hear when someone describes Victoria's capital. But anywhere in mainland Australia the weather will still be a hell of a lot better than I'm used to at home. There's no doubt I'll be spending a big part of my free time at the beach and in the park.

There's probably a ton of new experiences still waiting for me in Australia, and I can't wait to try lots of new things. For those interested in my new life in Melbourne, keep checking back here or follow me on Bloglovin'.

2 comments:

  1. Voor hoe lang ga je? Ga je er werk zoeken?
    Ben benieuwd naar je verhalen!! Ik ben zelf nooit aan Melbourne toegekomen toen ik in Aussieland was tijdens mijn tussenjaar. Brisbane vond ik wel fantastisch!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1 jaar met m'n tweede working holiday visum. Ik zal inderdaad op zoek gaan naar werk. Brisbane vond ik ook een toffe stad! Maar niks topt Melbourne ;)

      Delete