Pages

28.3.15

The first 3 months of 2015 in books



Partly due to getting an e-reader for Christmas in 2013, I read quite a few books last year, more than the 15 books target I had set myself. At the start of this year, I started another book challenge in Good Reads, and thinking I'd be busy I thought 15 would be another good aim. However, I've been reading like mad these past couple months, and I've already read 8 (!) books. The challenge has been scaled up to 20, and I have composed a list of the books I've been reading lately:

1. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
What a great book to start the year with! Gretchen Rubin leads a pretty good life, but recognizes that she could still be a lot happier, so she drafts up a calendar to improve her life within a year. Every month she focusses on one theme like de-cluttering, family and money and consistently tracks her improvement. Even if you're not going to start your own happiness project (I didn't), the book still comes with a bunch of practical insights. I hate to admit to liking self-helpy type books, but this was pretty good. 

2. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby
This was a reread that I finished in less than a week. It's probably my favourite Nick Hornby book, and again, quite fits the theme of the new year. The story is about four individuals who meet on the top of a tall building on New Year's eve, all of them planning to jump off. Instead they end up forming a quirky little group supporting each other and trying to deal with life. The characters are great, and this book is surprisingly hilarious for such a dark theme.

3. Australia: A Very Short Introduction by Kenneth Morgan
I'm always telling myself I want to read more history books (I never read any), and seeing as I live Down Under now I figured I should educate myself a little, so I got this little book at the library. It gives a good overview of the short history this country has. Met its purpose, nothing more than that.

4. The Antidote: Happiness For People Who Can't Stand Positive Thinking by Oliver Burkeman
This is almost the opposite of The Happiness Project. This book tries to destroy mainstream positive thinking methods, and it does it quite well, using scientific research and facts to back up their claims. The writer travels the world to meet with people who have adopted certain philosophies to live a happy life without actually pursuing happiness. It's a fascinating read, but though I'd agree with the writer that it's the constant quest for happiness that is probably keeping us from reaching exactly that, I wouldn't dismiss positive thinking altogether.

5. Animal Farm by George Orwell
Every now and then you have to read a classic. Having read 1984 last year, a friend recommended for me to read Animal Farm. An interesting take of communism taken up by animals. Famous for a reason.

6. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
Hosseini really impressed me with The Kite Runner which I only read last year and which must have been one of the best books I've read in a while. A Thousand Splendid Suns is also a fantastic book, a book that makes you wish for the best for the main characters. I love how this book gives you a view into a world (Afghanistan) you don't normally get confronted with, at least not in that way. 

7. The Best Digital Marketing Campaigns In The World by Damian Ryan
I recently started an internship as a digital marketer so I thought I'd raid the library for some inspiration. The book is a few years old and something like an interactive MySpace page doesn't sound too impressive, but it was good learning from other marketers' success stories.

8. How To Be Good by Nick Hornby
Despite being quite a fan of Nick Hornby, I'd never read this one for some reason. The story is about a couple that has met a dead end in their marriage, and after the wife confesses to an affair and asks for a divorce, the husband sees the light and decided not just to be a better husband, but a better man. He sees a spiritual healer and starts setting up projects to help the homeless, to great annoyance of his wife. This book is about an ordinary couple finding out what it takes to be a good person.

What are your favourite books you have read since the start of the year?

2 comments:

  1. Ik vond a thousand splendid suns zelfs mooier dan the kite runner! En the happiness project heeft mij ook positief verrast. Wat is je goodreads account? die van mij https://www.goodreads.com/Henrieke. zou je graag volgen. Mijn favorieten tot nu toe zijn the circle by Dave Eggers en the cuckoo's calling by Robert Galbraith.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. De link staat daarboven maar ik heb je toegevoegd hoor. :) The Circle heb ik ook gelezen, Cuckoo's Calling zal ik eens opzoeken!

      Delete