Pages

21.4.15

How To Cope With Being Unemployed



I recently got the sack at the donut shop I have been working at since I returned to Melbourne. The reason: financial problems. "We were happy with your work and you can put us down if you need any references, but we're just making some changes." Houdoe en bedankt, they would say where I come from: thanks and seeya. But hey, that's life.

I can't say I'm overly sad about losing the job itself. Yeah, I was quite attached to my steady income and the unlimited supply of donuts was pretty great (and equally bad), but it wasn't like my whole career went up in flames. It wasn't a very challenging job, I didn't pour my heart and soul into it, so it wasn't much of a loss. Despite that, I still fell into a pretty deep ditch from the first day of unemployment. Why? Because how do you cope with all this free time without driving yourself crazy?

This article isn't about how to find your next job or how to cope with the grief that comes with losing something important as a job might be to some people, it's about how to cope with that stretch of time between the last job and the next step.

WALLOW (BUT NOT TOO MUCH)

When I'm given too much time to myself, I go into dark corners of my mind that I don't really want to visit. It's good to reflect on your life and the direction you're headed. It's the inevitable doom thoughts like 'I'll never be anyone' that need to be avoided. They'll happen though, and in my first week of unemployment I made my first dumb emotional mistake: I reached out to my ex-boyfriend for support. Of course that decision immediately backfired when (predictably) he didn't rush over to console me, and I just ended up feeling like an idiot. But it happens. It's okay to let yourself feel a little sad, and if that means rewatching your favourite series in bed for two days straight then that's fine, just as long as you don't let it drag you under completely.

PICK YOURSELF UP

But after the initial phase - some call it a mourning phase, I'll just call it self-pity - you have to gather yourself, drag yourself out of bed, and do stuff with your days. There is one thing you learn real quick: you can rely only on yourself to move forward from here. Though it's good to get support from your loved ones, it's likely all the people around you have jobs and lives of their own. So do things that make you happy: go for a walk, visit the library and read some books... You better learn to enjoy your own company.

DEVELOP YOUR SKILLS

I bet there are a number of things that have been on some kind of postponed bucket list for a while because you've never had time to do it. Losing your job can be a blessing: you finally get the chance to invest in yourself. Developing yourself could mean doing something that could help you along in your next job, like updating your computer skills, or just a hobby you want to pick up for yourself, like learning to play guitar or taking a cooking class. I recently discovered Skillshare where you can find a range of video courses from drawing to Photoshop.

START A PROJECT

Keeping busy is key in order to keep yourself from going crazy during unemployment, but it's also the trickiest part. Putting yourself on a project is great because it will make you feel like you are working towards something. Job searching in itself can be a project. Or writing a blog. Or maybe you're creating something craftsy for your house or even starting up a freelance business. Just find something that you can come back to when you find yourself with too much time on your hands.

DON'T FORGET THE JOB SEARCH ;)

Hopefully by keeping yourself occupied you'll have found the right mindset to move forward to new position. Job searching is exhausting, so my only advise would be to schedule it and get it out of the way. Maybe apply for a number of jobs every morning, making sure you customise your application to the specific position and don't fall into the trap of sending the same cover letter for any job. Just keep at it, keep busy, and you'll make it through.


As for me, I'm still unemployed, but I'm dealing with it. I'm doing an unpaid internship where I'm gaining some great experience and I'm investing time to read up on digital marketing while also polishing my photography skills by taking on some projects. I'm actually quite excited about the future to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment